Hi.
I’m back. My apologies to the Internet for our long separation. I can assure you, it hasn’t been for lack of substance. Oh no. Life in Colorado has been so full of the raw content- joy and sorrow, depth and foolishness, comedy and tragedy- that make up these empty offerings to the Internet that no one really reads (thank you Google analytics). Where to start? Hmmm…
Today, while we were driving to kickboxing and the China Babe informed that she knows what she’s going to do for the talent show next year. That’s right, next year. Why? She needs practice. Because she’s going to jump rope. With her eyes closed. You read that right, I have an eyes-closed jump roping sister. Well, next year anyway. If she practices. She’s also Rihanna’s newest #1 fan, thank you very much.
I got to spend a couple days in the mountains with my cousins and aunt and uncle at their condo. That’s what the pictures are from. It was fantastic. There’s nothing like sitting around a table full of people who’ve know and loved you from the moment you took your first breath and will continue to do so no matter how weird you get. I realized how much I’d missed that elusive safe feeling that sort of lingers heavily and silently as evening turns to dusk turns to night unnoticed in the rhythm of conversation.
The conversation actually lasted almost all night. My Linds and I laid in bed talking like we did when we were little girls, rebelling against bedtime. The conversation has changed a lot except for the part about boys (though even that's a lot different as the running definition of a mean boy has dramatically changed). Through tears and laughter we both recounted the hells of years we’ve both had, sprinkled with pieces of heaven, to be sure. Oh, the sweet, sweet freedom of true and loyal sisterhood.
And then, as if life needed to get any more perfect, we woke up to fresh coffee, Rocky Mountain blue skies, a patio swing, and the Bible my uncle literally dropped in my lap: In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps (Pr. 16:9). Dear God, I hope so because while I have points for trying, I suck.
So, I got a job. Coffee shoppin’ it again. Yep. I’m at least 3 years older than everyone that works there, minus management, which is mildly humiliating. If I let my guard down, I find my thoughts going something like… “Laura Colby this is your life. Another sugar-free vanilla nonfat latte for another lady that thinks her drink is really tricky. Another four hours til I get to go home. Home to my house with a dog in heat and a room with a rainbow. You’re 23 years old, living in your parents’ house, in a room with a rainbow, with no money and only a theology degree to show for yourself. Yes, Laura Colby, this is your life.”
But, can I really complain? No. I mean, sure things haven’t gone how I’d hoped in a lot of ways. There is very real sadness and very real disappointment, very real issues to wade through. But that’s life and no one said it would be easy. I don’t know exactly where I’m going with all of this other than to say that despite, or maybe because of it all, I am happy.
One more story to leave you with. I won’t go into much detail because after much consideration, I have decided that the witty and biting comments are just too easy here, I’ll leave it up to you to draw your own conclusions.
So, like I said, we have a dog in heat. We thought she was spayed but it turns out, well, (disgusting) surprise! We have another dog who is old and we always took for having same-sex tendencies (which I am fine with) given his continued infatuation with Winky, a one-eyed Beagle at the dog park. It’s been a very interesting glimpse into the male psyche, watching this whole boy dog + girl dog in heat thing play out. Let it suffice to say that male dog has been busy and happy, too happy. It pisses me off to watch him go to town whenever and wherever he damn well pleases. Leave her alone for one friggin’ minute, Toby, she just wants to chew her rope for 3 seconds without you doing…that! Well, Toby got his when he overdid himself and cramped up in er…forward position, if you know what I mean. He was completely stuck and crying. I’m not making this up. He waddled outside, still crying, and walked around in er…forward position for a good 10 minutes. Poor dog? No. I think he learned a valuable lesson.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I love your writing! Gosh I can't wait to sit up late and discuss life with you whenever we want next year! How many days are we at now? Like 15? Can't wait!!!!!!!!!
i would say i'm surprised are your obviously talented writing, but i'm not. anyone that can make reading about canine coital complications entertaining has a gift, to say the least, haha.
it's been too long! hope you're well.
Post a Comment