I have great friends.
I’m sitting in 27F somewhere between Seattle and Denver, trying to process the weekend- the events, the conversations, the emotions. But I can’t. I am SO tired. And it’s because I have great friends. The last days were quite possibly four of my happiest days in Seattle. Ever. I have never been so happy to see the tattoos and body piercings, Utilikilts and man capris, real dogs and real coffee shops, artists, athletes, vegans, rollerskate dancers, work hard, live hard kind of performance outdoor gear wearing people that make up my favorite place on earth. And that isn’t even counting my time with my favorite people on earth.
Here’s the abbreviated weekend recap. (If you want further details, you’re either going to have to call me or look at the Facebook album that will inevitably be posted soon.) Ready? Go.
Landed at Seatac I got the news that we have a house in DC. Thank the Lord. Cait made $80 at a garage sale and got a sunburn. I met Miyoung for the first time but it didn’t really feel like the first time at all. Bryan’s birthday warranted drinks at Cactus, homemade carrot cake, a dark and stormy that made my stomach hurt, a trampoline and s’mores. Not bad for day #1.
Friday started at 7:30 by choice. We were that excited to see each other. My old bakery for coffee and breakfast. I love those guys there. Threw on the swimming suits and headed out on Ben’s boat for an afternoon on the water soundtracked by Moby and laughter. Walked the lake with Trav, which turned out to be sweet calm before the bachlorette storm. Danced the night away at Tia Lou’s, thwarted for only a short time when I was escorted out. (It was cause my heels were really tall, I promise.) Katie argued me back in in time to enjoy Cait on a table. Thank goodness for Carly’s hand. Blurry, half-memories from there on out.
Long, slow, late breakfast with good friends and even better stories. Packing and breakdown #1. Lake walk with Elise and all the pasty-skinned Seattle crazies (two separate men in their underwear). BBQ at our house during which I sat back, soaked it all in and sold my bed. Swam and hottubbed. The Hillards made me feel so safe: just yell Oklahoma if you find yourself in distress. The beginning of goodbyes. Esh.
Early morning packing. Bakery. Lake house wedding shower with toilet paper lingerie and naked nachos. Killed Luke in Horse. Another spin on the boat, this time around Lake Union where I’ve taken so many spins before. Breakdown #2. Sweet, sweet Katie time. Another hard goodbye.
More packing. Kitchen floor conversation with Cait. Breakdown #3. Shipping store. 5 Spot, my spot, with my girls. Airport. Breakdown #4.
Why am I moving again? I love Seattle.
The thing is, the Seattle we all love so much has changed, a lot. And while I absolutely loved every second of the time I had with my amazing friends, the absence of those scattered across the world was almost tangible. It’s so bittersweet. It’s bittersweet because I know that everyone is doing exactly what they need to do. It wouldn’t work if we were all still there, if it were “just like it was.” This is the problem with being friends with great people. They do great things which takes them to the ends of the earth.
I don’t know if what I’m doing in DC can be considered great, by any means. It’s just that, even in my continued grief of losing all the things that were, I know I have to do what I’m going to do. In the loss, there is the peace that only comes with obedience. Otherwise I just couldn’t do it. Plus, I know to the core of me that just because we’ve scattered and will continue to do so, we won’t stop doing life together. There is something so sacred about being known and loved anyway. Distance is simply irrelevant.
This weekend has left me really confused. So much happy mixed with so much sad. Writing this post was really hard and my creativity is feeling a little stunted, so sorry if I jump around. The one thing I do know for sure is this:
I have great friends.
Love,
LC
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
you are a great thing to me, laura. see you in the happy place.
Post a Comment