To the ones I love:
Another plane ride means another post. Probably overly emotional, reflective and fragmented like the last one. But, let’s be honest, that’s pretty much my mode of operation right now.
I have a great family.
And, not to sound redundant, I’m so tired.
It’s because I have a great family.
Some trip highlights:
1. Dinner on Tuesday night on the patio. Off all the places I’ve been, that patio is one of my three favorite places on earth. It is there that I feel the veil to heaven is the thinnest it gets for me. However, we may have moved a bit closer to hell this time around when the China Babe dropped some ketchup and followed it up with a subtle but well-placed “damn it.” Classic. It took about 10 seconds for all of us to go through the wait, did she really just say that? thought process.
Dad: “Anna, what did you just say?”
Chad and I: (muffled laughter)
Anna: “Oh, just, yam it.” (shrugs)
Chad and I: (unmuffled laughter)
Dad: “No, that’s not what you said is it?”
Anna: “Well...I…(laughs)…no…I was just saying…no…yea, I said damn it.”
Mom: “Where did you learn that?”
Anna: “I didn’t learn it. I just know it.”
Good girl, I would have sold Daddy out.
2. Anna’s field day. For all of you who don’t know, we Colby’s pride ourselves in our long and successful athletic careers. I mean, each of us has dominated various field day events and recess pick-up games on through state championship games and school records. I am happy to report that my little sister upheld the legacy. I mean, she may not have won the 50 yard dash or “jump the brook.” She may have cried after a tug-o-war loss. She may have gone down over a couple of hurdles. But, by God, if anyone has ever dominated the shoe flick, it’s my China Baby. That’s right. After a first disappointing flick of about 2 feet, Anna rebounded to go undefeated in the flicks that followed. She even hit her teacher with her pink and grey Merrell. Obviously, the name lives on, the Colby name still reigns, for now at least.
3. We went to the Rockies game on Wednesday. My Dad’s lawyers gave us some great seats, four rows behind home plate. Something about the ballgame is just so true. I love Coors field. Granted, it doesn’t have the Dingleberries and Sushi and trans fat free goodness Safeco boasts but that’s okay. I managed to find a fantastic Gardenburger and watered down beer. The sun beat down on our backs, we danced between innings, cheered for the Jumbotron racecars and felt as American as they come. If that’s not the good life, I don’t know what is.
4. My parents spent the weekend trying to bribe me into moving home. It’s a good thing we’ve put down our first months rent in DC, otherwise, I may have given into the temptation. Seriously. They offered me a DOG. I think I’ve narrowed it down to a Chesapeake Retriever or a Rhodesian Ridgeback (they make black ones!). After seeing Moby Colby’s sterling character, I’m pretty sold on the Ridgebacks. They were bred to kill lions in Africa, which is pretty friggin' sweet. Unlike Pitbulls, which are also friggin' tough dogs, they don’t kill people. Just lions. All I have to do is get off this plane, load up my car and drive home. I could be a happy puppy owner in less than two weeks. The dream is within my reach. Oh the inner turmoil.
5. David Cook won American Idol. He and I are going to be great friends someday. I just have a feeling.
There’s more but I fear only my Mom has made it to this point in this lengthy post (thanks, Mom). If you will, allow me just a few more thoughts.
Just as I flew away from Seattle overflowing with gratitude and glowing with pride for my friends, I fly away from Denver with the same sense of deep, deep love for my family. While you pick your friends, you don’t pick your family. I don’t think I could have picked better friends than those I have in my family.
I have cousins going all different places. Cousins who are best friends, confidants, my forever partners in crime. I am so proud of each and every one of them. We have grown into such good friends, people who are very different but can deeply respect the others. Linds and I won’t stop dreaming together, Em and Hil won’t stop amazing me with their strength, Ky and Cayles won’t stop impressing me with their deep desire to do what is right.
I have brothers who are, hands down, the best men I know. They make me happy. They make me smarter. They make me better. They teach me to laugh at myself and at the world. I wish you could know them too.
Finally, I have parents who have loved me fiercely, believed in me at every turn, and given me every resource both physically and emotionally to follow my dreams. This is the problem with great parents. They make you believe that you can be great too, somehow. Sometimes I think life would be a lot simpler if they hadn’t loved me so well. Maybe I wouldn’t be living out of boxes, fighting myself and the unknown, chasing a dream. But they have given me wings, allowed me to chase after the life that is truly life. Leaving this time was so hard. So hard. I don’t know that I can pinpoint exactly what’s different but something is. I don’t know how I will ever make up to them all they’ve given, all they’ve sacrificed. I can’t. They’ve sacrificed me. To me, they are Trinity personified. They are my best friends.
I have a great family.
Yours-
LC.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Laura, (through my tears), you are welcome, and we love you.
MOM
P.S. You forgot all the dog tug-a-wars. You lost
Post a Comment